Saturday, January 28, 2017

Best Meetup Group Ever: Ready-to-Wear Diet


 I am excited to announce I have recently created a Meetup group called Ready-to-Wear Diet: Sewing and Upcycling.

I was inspired to create this group because of my New Years resolution to buy no new clothes for 365 days. After making this pledge I thought to myself, wouldn't it be great to find like-minded people who want to be more eco-friendly with their clothing choices and bring them together so that we can support and inspire one another?

A person doesn't have to be an experienced sewer or clothing upcycler to join - I my self have only upcycled a few pieces of clothing and have a lot to learn.

The plan is to take monthly trips to area consignment shops and second hand stores, select pieces of clothing good for upcycling, and then grab coffee afterwards to discuss our plans and get advice from one another.

Depending on the interests and needs of the group I would also love to add on meetups for members to sew together. I have a small but very comfortable sewing studio which could be a space for new and experienced sewers to work on their projects and provide advice and support to each other. In my world that sounds like a perfect afternoon!

So I just established this group on the 23rd and I already have 17 members and all 7 spots filled for the first meetup!!! (I'm not sure why I settled on 7 spots for the first meeting...not too big, not to small?).

In hopes of inspiring and informing others, I plan to regularly post about these meetups and the success (and failures) of the groups upcycling projects.

It makes me feel so good to see the interest in this group and I am looking forward to helping it develop and grow.

Link to meetup group: https://www.meetup.com/Ready-to-Wear-Diet-Sewing-and-Upcycling/

Sew on,
E. Farlely